Monday, May 18, 2009

Cheddar Cheese Pie Crust

3 Cups Sifted flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup chilled lard
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sugar
3/4 Cup Shredded sharp cheddar
5 Tablespoons Cold water (or more)
Directions
1. To make Cheddar Cheese crust, mix flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Add water gradually and mix lightly with fork to form dough. Divide pastry in halves and roll out one half to fit 9-inch pie pan.



My dad loved his desserts and he loved his dairy products. Maybe that was because growing up they were in short supply, I don't know. However, my husband sometimes has a bit of trouble seeing the vision, so to speak. Dad loved his apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese. He always said that the sweet of one and the sharp bite of the other were meant for each other. I went on a search for pie crusts that use cheddar in them and found many but this one sounded the best and after giving Betty Kruse a call made some modifications and it is in the oven as I write this. You might like to give it a try. I will say that the cheese changes the way the product handles so just be for warned.

I made my usual 4 cups of fruit apple pie filling used half granny smith and half brayburn. Will let you know how it turns out.

God Bless and Hugs To You All,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment