Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cowboy Caviar


COWBOY CAVIAR


1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, about 5
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Bag of Scoops or other Tortilla chip you like. Scoops are great because they hold a good deal of what you are after.

Marinade: 3/4 cup cider vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup corn oil, (I use canola ) Better made a little ahead. You can cut these to 1/2 cup each and still come out great.

What I made was slightly different and would make a difference in the taste. I added some chopped fresh Cilantro. I love that clean taste.

I changed up like one can of white beans or garbanzo/chick peas in place of a can of pinto. 

 Shoe peg corn is a Green Giant thing, it is more whole kernel than whole kernel.

I seeded and chopped Roma tomatoes. 

I also mixed red and green bell peppers. 

 Ripe olives are good in it as well. 

If you like a bit of heat use a few drops of hot sauce or a bit of Penzey's Forward in it. 

I made mine a day or two ahead and didn't put the tomatoes in until the last minute. I think that I actually added the tomatoes out at the very last minute. Tomatoes can get kind of icky if they set for a while.

Basic recipe was from my friend Cindy. She likes to play with her recipes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment