Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ina Garten's Plum Crunch Done Apple


OK, I will admit it I really like most of Ina Garten's recipes and I really like the way she present. A number of weeks ago she was doing this amazing Lemon/Garlic Roasted chicken (which is to die for) and the dessert was a Plum Crunch. I don't have access to fresh Italian plums but I have always like Apple Crisp so why not try it with apples. It is a bit over the top for sugar, so those with sugar issue, I would cut it in half and use Splenda.
Oven at 375F 9x13 pan spayed with PAM
Plum Crunch
Filling:
3 # Italian prune plums, pitted and qrtd 
1 1/2 C. Lgt Brown sugar
1/4 C. unbleached flour
6 Tbsp. cre'me de Cassis liqueur  
Mix well and pour into the prepared baking dish.

Topping:  
1 1/2 C. unbleached flour
3/4 C. granulated sugar
3/4 C. light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 C. Old fashion rolled oats
1/2 C. walnuts, chopped
1/2 # (2 sticks) butter, cubed 

Put the mixture in either a stand mixer bowl with a paddle attachment or as I did my food processor. Process until the butter is pea sized. Spread over the fruit evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

For the apple version I used:
7-8 good size but not large apples, pared, cored and sliced
the brown sugar and flour is the same
I changed the liqueur to Grand Marnier
Added:
1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

I could see where this might be adapted to gluten free if there was a substitute for the flour in the topping. Corn starch could be used in the filling part for the flour.

Very good warm with some Breyer's Ice-Cream

Thank you, Ina!!!!!!!

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment