Monday, November 4, 2013

Chicken W/Wild Rice Soup

OK, the man came home cold and wanting soup again. I had to think quick and flavorful.  Earlier this afternoon, I had a hankering for mixed wild rice. So, I made some and lucky for me that I did.

Mixed Wild Rice Blend (I purchase this time from the Pioneer Coop in Coralville, IA-

In a heavy pan combine:
1 C. Wild Rice Blend
4 C. of Chicken broth (I used 1 carten for College Inn and finished it off with water to make the 4 cups.)
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp of butter

Bring this to a boil and then simmer covered for about 50 minutes. At this point I take cock the lid and let it sit. It will absorb the rest of the liquid or most of it.

This is where did came home.

Soup Ingredients:

In a stock pot sauté
4 Tbsp. butter
1 leek, white part only. Split it in half and then thinly slice
1 Tbsp of minced garlic
1 tsp Penzey's Mural of Flavor
1/2 -1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 C. chopped celery

Sauté' for a few minutes until the veggies are tender.

Add:
1 carton of College Inn chicken broth
2 C. left over chicken breast diced, if you don't have any left overs, I would suggest using a grocery store rotisserie chicken, less the skin and the bone.
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup with roasted garlic
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup

Bring to a simmer.
Add that wild rice blend that you made earlier and it it hasn't absorbed all of the liquid, add it as well.

Being to a simmer, stirring often and serve.

Almost homemade and my resident food critic loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment