Sunday, March 15, 2009

Orange Carrot Cake

Denny's Favorite Orange Carrot Cake
from Pillsbury's "Let's Celebrate" cook book 1985

Heat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 cake pan.

Cake:
3 C. all purpose flour
2 C. sugar
1 C. coconut (doesn't matter, flake or shredded)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon ( this is where, I kind of mess with things a bit, I put in 2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg)
2 C. (4 med.) shredded carrots
1 1/4 C. cooking oil
2 tsp. vanilla (do me proud on this one and use the real think, OK)
1 tsp. grated orange peel
3 eggs
11 oz. can of Mandarin Orange segments, undrained

Blend all of this well and them beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack until completely cool (this is the part that is hardest for me. I have to keep Den out of it that long)

Frosting:
3 C. powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese softened
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

Blend well. This makes more frosting than is really needed for the cake but get out the graham crackers and make some treats for the kids for after school. If you like sprinkle the frosted cake with chopped walnuts or pecans.

This is a dense, moist cake. I have never tried to make a layer cake out of this one but I guess you could. Hope that you enjoy it. I has never failed for me in the 18 years that we have been married.

No comments:

Post a Comment