Friday, February 27, 2009

Karen's Guatamala Corn Cake

My dear friend Karen and her husband adopted 2 of the most beautiful children from Guatamala when they found that they could not have children the usual way. I was one of the folks that put forth athadavids atesting to their suitability as parents for the first adoption. So, this one is very special to me.


Guatemalan Corn Cake
1¼ hours 20 min prep
SERVES 16
1 yellow cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn, mashed and strained,then add milk to corn to make one cup (I use a spoon to mash/push all the juice through a strainer and then scrape the remaining corn kernals into a 1 cup liquid measure add milk to make 1 level cup - I use whole milk since I have kids but should be fine with any - never tried skim though)
1 teaspoon vanilla (I use real bourbon vanilla I bought in Costco)
Mix all ingredients on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Pour into greased and floured bundt or tube pan. (I use Pam for Baking - spray really good or it will stick)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. (I usually check it around 50 mins)
Cool 15 minutes, then turn out of pan.
Cool; dust with powdered sugar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment